Thursday, February 17, 2011

KBS TV report

Before yesterday, a guy from KBS (Korean Broadcasting system), a national TV channel went in my family in order to interview us about Home Stay Korea...

Guys from KBS first contacted Home Stay Korea, which find the family in which I live for me and this organism told them to contact my family.

The mother of my family wanted to make sure that I personally wanted to do that TV report about home stay in Korea. I was really interested in that, because that was an opportunity for me to be on TV, to speak about my own experience in Korea, but mainly in a korean family.

But what I took for a great experience finally turned into an unexpected experience. When the guy from KBS first came home, on wednesday night, me and my family had to go on a supposed traditional market to buy some stuff.

First thing : I've never been to that market before, but I had to swear that I came here with my family every day and that I liked it.

Secondly, the KBS guy wants some funny things to film, right, but was I supposed to play with apples, smell them as if they smell something good ? I actually don't know

Then, children want to buy some clothes, I have to say that I found them completely, incredibly awful but apparently they liked it. These clothes were actually shiny sequined leopard sport suits (just let you imagine the result ...) Anyway, the KBS guy told me that I had to say I found that really cute and that children look good with that. Right. I did it.


Then everything was just fake, and completely untrue : I was really confused because I thought that this report should be a good idea : that makes discover to every korean people the daily life of a host family and the foreigner hosted. And now, I was little by little discovering that unlike I thought I was just allowed to repeat what the guy from KBS told me to say.

I had to say that I gave english lessons to the older child, then that I also gave piano lessons to the younger one (whereas he's actually a better pianist than me). I also had to say that home stay was cheap whereas that's untrue (when I told the KBS guy that this affirmation was untrue he just answered me "well, okay, I understand but my boss just wants to hear that it's cheap" - " ok and does your boss ever experienced home stay ?" - "No" ....

Also, KBS wanted to film me at work, but apparently my current job was not funny enough for them, so the KBS guy brought me to the 5th floor, filmed me with other people talking about a building model whereas that was not my job. When I asked why I had to do that he just told me "oh, you know, in KBS we just want funny things, entertainment !" weeeeeeeeeeeeell .... You get it !

I mean, everything was so untrue ! I just had to repeat ideas of a boss who had ideas about home stay but who never experienced that !

1 comment:

  1. hmmmm, interesting...but that's the real korean sociaty...^^

    ReplyDelete